Physical Education attempts to provide an enjoyable, broad and balanced programme. The curriculum offers a comprehensive range of experiences to meet the needs of individual students and the structured and developmental programmes of study provide for progression, challenge and a sense of achievement.
It is intended that the programme offered will encourage in all students a positive attitude towards an active and healthy lifestyle.
The department objectives are to:
- Students should enjoy physical education through full participation. Each student is treated and encouraged as an individual to achieve his or her full potential.
- All students develop body management skills through a balanced and creatively produced curriculum. These should include an experience an understanding of; aesthetics, striking skills, games skills, athletics, swimming and outdoor education.
- Safety procedures related to all activities should be common knowledge and rigorously applied.
- All students should learn to appreciate, accept and value the work of others no matter what their ability, given that 100% effort has been applied.
- Develop an individual’s self-discipline and organisation.
- To foster such interest in Physical Education that students continue to participate once they have left school. This will involve linking with sports clubs in the area.
- Develop positive attitudes towards all aspects of health and an understanding of human anatomy and physiology.
- To encourage the process of maturation, though the delegation of controlled responsibility.
- To encourage honesty, reliability, co-operation, sensitivity and leadership.